An important beginning for any project brief, is the initial research. So, location drawing, drawing from objects and research of your chosen subject. For me, I visited the Riverside Museum of Transport and drew many different sections of trains and engines.
This was one of my initial drawings completed in the museum. It is a close up of one of the mechanisms that makes the wheels turn on steam engine trains. I find the angular shapes quite interesting (even though the hexagonal shape was pretty difficult to get right!) It is also a far cry from the type of subject I would usually choose; normally preferring to pick natural forms as I find them easier to draw. But I did enjoy the challenge that I set myself by choosing industrial objects.
I tried to use different techniques whilst recording my data, depending on what I liked about the objects I had chosen to draw. I’m quite fond of using fine line pen, and think it looks nice when doing continuous line. I also limited myself to five minutes to complete this drawing.
I really liked the shapes of this section and how it all fit seamlessly together.
However I feel that some of my drawings completed that day were a bit safe, which I have been guilty to in previous sketchbook work; so when I returned to the studio I tried to loosen up a little and be more expressive in what I was trying to draw.
I like to experiment with quink ink and bleach within my work; really liking the results that it provides. I also thought that it gave quite an industrial look to my work, which of course is what I was looking for. I feel that from this point on my drawing got more of a direction and became better inspiration for the development work that I would be starting on.
Another technique that I quite liked was in the drawing to the left. I mixed up a bright copper colour in acrylic paint and added it to a plain page in my sketchbook in a rough shape of the object I was focusing on. Once dried I then added the quink ink on top which muted the colour of the paint. Once dry I went over it with the bleach, adding the highlights and adding low lights with black paint. I thought it was quite successful and much more expressive than my other drawings.